How does a new manager survive and thrive, when so often they are thrown in the deep end with no formal management coaching or training?
In Episode two of the Fastleader podcast, Darin Fox, Chief Research Officer at HFL, taps into the extensive experience of CEO Alistair Gordon and Principal Consultant Kirsty Allen to ask:
- How long does it typically take a new people leader to become competent?
- Why is this first transition so difficult?
- What’s the best way to deal with the awkward experience of managing staff who used to be your peers?
- How do you fight the feeling that you must do everything perfectly?
- What’s Kirsty and Alistair’s number #1 tip for new managers and leaders?
You’re not alone - every new leader or manager faces similar challenges. Listen on to find out how to resolve them.
“I thought I knew the management theory. But reality is different.”
“It’s not about the rating, it’s about the conversation.”
“The best leaders - at crucial moments - ask brilliant questions.”
“The worst leaders impose solutions.”
“The best leaders never stop learning about leading.”
“Be a capability leader.”
“It’s communicate, not communique.”
“The most most important word in “Team Leader” is ‘Team’. “
Subscribe to Fastleader for fortnightly tips and tricks that help leaders and mangers survive and thrive.
Take the Fastlead management challenge: https://fastlead.com/challenge
More resources: the Fastleaders homepage
Created by Fastlead, AsiaPac’s pioneer of small group leadership coaching. Hosted by Darin Fox, Chief Research Officer.
Join our hosts on LinkedIn
For more leadership advice, webinars and an interactive analysis of your leadership skills, visit Fastlead.com